Farm• We’ve had two new litters of pigs this week. One very difficult farrowing on a hot summer’s day ended in a complication. Unfortunately, 8 piglets were born dead after 8were born alive. This is always upsetting, but working on the land teaches you that death is all part of life.
• It is possible that the biggest step forward in human health was the provision of clean drinking water to the population. We are, therefore, applying the same thinking to the animals and constantly cleaning troughs. Do let us know if you see one that needs cleaning! We add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to the water to deter algae formation followed by some garlic powder to help ward off flies. The water itself is distributed around the farm from our borehole. This gives us spring quality water from a lake 60 meters below us! So all the animals here, as well as humans, are drinking Ardeley spring water.
Store, Café and Veg & Meat Boxes• The butchery will finally be opening this weekend!
Come in for your fresh cuts of meat and to see Pete, our butcher, in action. He will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
• The café now has a new chiller which means that we can provide more fresh chilled puddings.
• Last week’s delicious wild cherry roasted duck breast sold out in two days!
Events, Workshops and Courses
• Look out for our new summer events programme this weekend. New workshops include: Grow your own food, peg-loom weaving, moth night, wildflower walk, sausage-making, elderberry, and preserving.
• Come along to our Campfire, Music and Sleep Under the Stars Weekend on 24th July. Adults £10, Under 16s £8, Under 2s £2. Free for musicians and volunteers. Prebooking is essential.